About Me

My photo
I'm single, broke, and in my early 30s... but thankfully decided a while ago to sort my life out once and for all; in particular to sort out my finances, and to move forward into a debt free life. I'm hoping writing a blog will help spur me on through my social life cutbacks, my successful and not-so-successful attempts at dating, my new addiction to the Sainsbury's Basics range, and the general insanity caused by the stress of money troubles.

Sunday 4 August 2013

Falling at the last hurdle

Ok, so technically I should have become debt free this month... but what with the splurging at Easter and the car repairs and the upfront payment for gap insurance for my new car, and reducing my monthly debt payments to start paying finance for my new car etc. etc. it's all gone a bit skew-whiff.

So the end date got moved to about December time.  But now it's starting to creep into the new year...

Figures are as such:

£1724.31 left in older debt
£500 loan owed to parents that is currently on hold (they offered to wipe this but I just couldn't accept)
£445 racked up RECENTLY... BAD BAD DEBT GIRL

By January next year all I'll have left to pay is £20 odd quid of older debt remaining plus £500 to the folks (plus this new debt).

For some reason my brain has gone:

"screw being poor all the time, I want to have fun and not have to worry about money all the time"

and decided to chuck a load of stuff on a credit card.  I think it's because my hours (and everyone else's) at job 2 have been cut and I just can't afford to live now unless I have quite a miserable existence and I just seem to not be able to hack that when I'm so close to being debt free.

I seem to have been hovering around the £2-3k left mark for sometime now... just as I pay it down, something seems to happen for it to go back up again.  I do hope I won't remain in £2-3 grand debt for evermore.

This month is a tricky one as I'm off work quite a bit and therefore want to go out more and see friends which equals paying for drinks and dinners etc.

I think I will just ride out this month not being terribly well behaved... "dinner on the credit card? Don't mind if I do!" and then reign myself back in when I'm properly back at work in September and won't have time to go splurging money or having fun. 

Somewhere along the line I need to start saving for Christmas, now that just doesn't bear thinking about!

Oh and yes, I'm still applying for jobs, and still getting nowhere.  Competition for jobs in my sector is incredibly fierce as most of us got made redundant under government cuts... perhaps I should just count myself lucky I have a job.

1 comment: