About Me

My photo
I'm single, broke, and in my early 30s... but thankfully decided a while ago to sort my life out once and for all; in particular to sort out my finances, and to move forward into a debt free life. I'm hoping writing a blog will help spur me on through my social life cutbacks, my successful and not-so-successful attempts at dating, my new addiction to the Sainsbury's Basics range, and the general insanity caused by the stress of money troubles.

Sunday 4 March 2012

Blown the budget

Already!  Friday's budget of £30 is down to £3.30 to last me until next Friday (9th)... yikes! 

I barely bought anything last week and ended up spending just under £16 out of my budget, with the other £14 going on £2 coins, £10 of which were purely random, £4 of which were me deliberately buying £2 coins at job #2 to stop me spending on the penultimate day of my budget.

However, the flip side of this, is that I needed to stock up this week, with cat food, toilet roll and the like, as well as food, meaning my supermarket spends were high.  On Friday night I bought a couple of things, and then on Saturday did a Sainsbury's shop.  I'm getting increasingly annoyed at the Basics Range... just keeps going up and up in price every time I go through the door.  Basics Blueberries, were 90p, now £1.15.  Basics Fruit & Fibre, was 60something p, now £1, etc. Starting to wonder if I'm going to be priced out of eating...!  I might shift my buying to Tescos and Morrisons going forward... Tescos often have good reductions on stuff going out of date, and Morrisons tends to be generally cheaper, and their Value range is ok. 

Almost everything seems to cost over £1 now.  And I continue to get really upset over how much cheese is!  £2.20 for a small block of mature cheddar has always seemed a lot to me :(

Just as well I get fed breakfast and lunch 3 days a week in one of my workplaces.  And working evenings for my second job often stops me eating dinner, so instead I eat a small snack, which can work out cheaper, though I don't know how good for me that is.

Adding to the fact my supermarket shops were fairly hefty, Sainsbury's gave me x2 £2 coins in my change meaning I have to save them, hence why I am left with so little to live off for the rest of the week.

Let me think about what I'm going to need to buy.  On Monday I am not in my usual place that feeds me, so I will need lunch.  Evening dinner I have stuff in for.  Tuesday and Wednesday should be ok as I'll be fed at work, and have stuff to eat in the evenings.  Thursday I will need lunch, and also something to get me through my Thursday evening job #2 shift.  Friday = new budget.  I think I'll be ok.  Cheese sandwiches if nothing else now I've forked out my £2.20! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Make sure you eat hun, food should be a priority, even if its beans on toast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha yes, I know! Don't worry, I'm not going to fade away any time soon. The main problem I have is I go straight from job #1 to job #2 (15 minute gap between them to travel from one to the other and change!) so no time to eat. I tend to snack on the job if I'm really hungry or end up eating at 10.30pm when I get home, but that's a little late for a big meal so I tend to have something light like a bowl of cereal... very hard to eat sensibly when you've no time :(

    ReplyDelete