About Me

My photo
I'm single, broke, and in my early 30s... but thankfully decided a while ago to sort my life out once and for all; in particular to sort out my finances, and to move forward into a debt free life. I'm hoping writing a blog will help spur me on through my social life cutbacks, my successful and not-so-successful attempts at dating, my new addiction to the Sainsbury's Basics range, and the general insanity caused by the stress of money troubles.

Saturday 28 January 2012

Buffer money

Ok, so I didn't make it to £2.83 - forgot I needed to give someone 50p for something... however, still saved the rest, and from my new weekly budget on Friday I have already had a £2 coin in my change so that's been added to the savings pot courtesy of my £2 saving resolution.

Also been saving everything I earn over my regular salary e.g. hours over my minimum contract of 8 a week in my job #2 , and petrol expenses and overtime in job #1.  This is something I have been doing for a while, but I was getting into bad habits of dipping into the buffer a little too much.  The current amount I have stashed is to see me through my birthday month of February, and to pay for anything else that might come up that I can't afford from my meagre weekly budget.

Plan is to try and keep my buffer as high as possible, and use bits every now and then to pay down my debt, but still leave myself some as fall back money.

Of course, I definitely have some extra paying down debt to do, since I splurged on clothes for that interview (co-incidentally, I found out today that I wasn't successful), and have the cottage break for my birthday to pay off too - so about an extra £200 - yikes!  Am hoping to sell some stuff soon though and use that money to pay off some of the £200...

Yes, I know, I could use my buffer money to pay down my credit card, and logic would say that's a good idea.  However, I want to get out of the habit of using that credit card (my other credit card has a large balance I am consistently paying off), so want to keep the buffer to ensure I don't touch the card again for a while.

Going to add the buffer amount to my savings at the bottom of my blog page to give the whole picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment