About Me

My photo
I'm single, broke, and in my early 30s... but thankfully decided a while ago to sort my life out once and for all; in particular to sort out my finances, and to move forward into a debt free life. I'm hoping writing a blog will help spur me on through my social life cutbacks, my successful and not-so-successful attempts at dating, my new addiction to the Sainsbury's Basics range, and the general insanity caused by the stress of money troubles.

Wednesday 25 January 2012

What the...?

So a curious thing has happened.  It turns out I like saving.  Yes, me of all people!  Who'd have thought it?!

My living only off cash NY resolution is making me very careful about how much I spend as I can visably see my money reducing.  My weekly budget is £37.50, starting on Fridays (as I get paid in job #2 every fortnight on a Friday).  The last two weeks I only withdrew £60, £30 for each week, to see how I got on, idea being there would be a bit extra in the bank to draw on if needed, and although there is a cash point that dispenses £5 notes near me, £30 is a nice round figure to get out.

First week I had £4.44 left.  This week I'll have £2.83 left, providing I don't buy anything tomorrow, which I'm sure I can manage.  I also then had £15 left in the bank which I ended up using to put some much needed petrol in my car.  So not only did I come in well under budget, I also managed to get some petrol, and save £7.27!  And that is despite my earlier posts this week flapping about going over budget on my date and the like...

I have a little tin that I'm saving my £2 coins in (see other NY resolution), and I've added the £4.44 to it, and will add the remaining £2.83 tomorrow night, provided I don't spend it.  Also in the tin are some coppers and 5p coins I had kicking about the place, and soon I'll put the bits and bobs that are floating round my car in there too.

Will add a savings total to the bottom of my blog, alongside my debt totals so you can see my progress : )

Plan is to pay the savings in to my bank once they build up sufficiently, and use the money to pay off some of my smaller debts - e.g. money I owe friends, or my small credit card that I used recently to pay for interview clothing and mini holiday for my birthday.

Also pleased to announce I have over £100 saved for "Birthday Month" (February), as no doubt it'll be an expensive one, what with turning 30 and all... (eeek!)  This money was saved from overtime worked in job #1 and hours worked over my contract in job #2 during January : )

Oh and today was a No Spend Day. Got fed breakfast and lunch free of charge in the venue I worked in today (as normal for a Tuesday or Wednesday), but also got fed dinner free of charge too, as had to stay late for an event.  Result!

No comments:

Post a Comment