About Me

My photo
I'm single, broke, and in my early 30s... but thankfully decided a while ago to sort my life out once and for all; in particular to sort out my finances, and to move forward into a debt free life. I'm hoping writing a blog will help spur me on through my social life cutbacks, my successful and not-so-successful attempts at dating, my new addiction to the Sainsbury's Basics range, and the general insanity caused by the stress of money troubles.

Thursday 9 February 2012

Hitting me hard

I'll be honest.  Much as I'd like to be all sweetness and light about turning 30 tomorrow, I am not.  It's not the getting older as such (you think I'm that shallow?!) but it's the symbolism of it, what it represents.  And sadly for me, that is exactly what I've not achieved in my life. 

Never at 20 would I have thought that at 30:

*I'd be broke and in a massive amount of debt (and therefore living on a shoestring)
*I would be working a full time job AND a part time job to afford to even eat
*I'd be totally single with not even a decent man on the horizon
*I'd be facing potential redundancy (later this year)
*I'd have not had any children

Add to that that over the last few months I've become the only single one of my local female friends, leaving me to feel very alone, and you can perhaps see why I'm not exactly jumping up and down to celebrate the anniversary of my birth. 

What I think I'd like to do is drink myself into oblivion tomorrow to make it all go away, but somehow I think that will be unhelpful, and rather ungrownup for a 30 year old (and besides, my hangovers are a bitch)... 

So what will I do?  Well I'll slap on a smile, do the rounds seeing family and friends, and try and convince myself that everything is ok, hey, it's just another day after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment